Thursday, October 3, 2024

Opinion: Time Between Classes

by Aria H.

Last week I asked six YMS students if they thought three minutes is enough time in between classes. There were a few different answers but most of them were the same. The first people I asked had about the same answer. 

The first person I interviewed was Hattie H. She thinks that three minutes is not enough time. She states, “No I do not think three minutes is enough time because I have to walk around school to get to my classes and you have to go to your locker and the bathroom.” I then asked her how much time should be in between classes and she said “I think there should be five minutes so I can get to class with time to spare.” 

The second sixth grader I asked was Echo G. I asked her the same question of “Do you think three minutes is enough time in between classes here at YMS?” She answered “No because that's too short to got to the bathroom, to my locker, and plus slow walkers! So it's almost impossible to get to classes on time!” I then asked her how much time should be in between classes? She replied, “Five minutes because then I can go to the bathroom, go to my locker, and get to class on time.” 

Next I interviewed two seventh graders. The first one I interviewed was named Irelyn M. I asked her if she thought three minutes is enough time between classes? She answered, “Yes, three minutes is a good amount of time because the school isn’t that big.” 

Next person I interviewed was Alison I. I again asked her the same question if three minutes is enough time in between classes? She said, “No, because then you don't have time to go to the bathroom.” I then asked her how much time should be in between classes? She answered, “Five minutes so I can go to the bathroom and still get to class on time. 

Lastly I interviewed two eighth graders. First I asked Winry Y. I asked her if she thought that three minutes is enough time between classes? She replied, “Yeah because I get to my classes on time.” 

The last person I interviewed was Jayden O. I asked her if she thinks that three minutes is enough time in between classes? She answered with “No because my teachers tell me to use the bathroom in between classes but I never have enough time!” Then I asked her how much time should be in between classes? She said five minutes so I can use the bathroom and still get to class on time.”

So in general most people want a few more minutes to get to class. But some disagree and think three minutes is plenty of time in between classes.